Saturday, November 7, 2009

Reflection on Oral Presentation

Preparation work including designing our slides, outlining the content, logical sequencing, progressive of each points, etc. started one week before the actual presentation date and the first draft only came out two days thereafter. I keep in mind a principle which I learned somewhere that for each slide I present to my audience, there must be a central idea I wish to sell to them. Due to my weak command of English language, I wrote a complete speech text verbatim. The speech was crafted in a way that as much as possible engaging the audience by using questioning techniques. I also tried to think in terms of them and therefore to my best understanding, anticipating and addressing their concerns before being voiced out. Aaron and I did not get to rehearse our presentation until one day before due to some other commitments on both sides. We did a few test run and commented on each other for improvement. On that day itself before class, we rehearsed in a seminar room which I think help me visualize myself presenting to the NUSSU.

In terms of delivery, my voice is clear though my pitch is slightly high, causing me to sound a little fierce but overall I have a pretty good pronunciation. It will be good if I can vary my tone a bit more and adding some element of humour during the course of my presentation. I went smooth at first but do not perform as well toward the end due to the time and problems flipping the script. I stand still in the almost the same posture throughout with some hand gestures. Probably I should have use more hand gestures to emphasize my point. I believe if I was able to present without a script, which will be better as I am able to utilize hand gestures more effectively. I was not too natural when I present. My hands were sweating; however I still manage to overcome my wobbling knees. More eye contact could have been established to show attention to my audience.

On the whole, I think I had prepared myself well and did quite a decent job and at least after this presentation, I had gained some confidence and experiences for any presentation in the future and I am happy with it.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jason,

    As I have commented on Aaron's blog, if I were to pick a team that did the best, I'd pick yours. For further elaboration, please refer to Aaron's blog.

    The part which you mentioned that you needed to sell the idea to your intended audience - was the most important, I reckon. It was something that I insisted in my presentation as well, and is something I preach and follow in my daily life as well, whenever persuasion and convincing is required. It is about about finding (or creating) a need in others that they feel that they need to fill. Thats the power of persuasion, and you pulled it off excellently.

    Another thing worth mentioning would be, the visible amount of prepatory work that went on behind the scenes for the presentation. It clearly paid off during your presentation. You may not have noticed it, but through the flow of your speech, the transition between slides, the power in your voice, ... etc ... everything demonstrated itself.

    On a final note, your command of English seems to have improved greatly, from what the presentation has shown. Certainly hope that this module has helped you in more ways than you have expected and let these skills transcend onto the later stages in your life. (=

    -jj

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jason,

    first of all, well done for your OP.

    i also wrote up a speech text to plan what to say doing the presentation in case i missed up some points during the presentation. And i think it helped you a lot too. You sounded good in the beginning loud and clear but the presentation continues, i think you got quite nervous and began flipping your script to the right page. But i understand how you feel then. In fact, my hands was shaking.

    Anyway, you had a clear presentation idea and it was evident during OP. I understood what you were trying to bring across.

    good job!

    andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jason,

    I find your group's presentation slides very professional and eye-catching. It has shown the elements of a good presentation slide(: Your group has used appropriate icons, images and sufficient text, while bearing in mind not to clutter the slides. It was indeed well done(:

    Your presentation has left a deep impression to me as well. I feel that posing questions to the audience is a good technique to capture the audience's attention as well as get them thinking. I believe that your goal of keeping a central idea for each slide is acheived as I was able to grasp what you were trying to sell and I could follow your presentation.

    You started off very smoothly but I do agree that towards the middle part of the presentation, you fumbled with yr script alittle but I can totally relate to that.

    All in all, your voice was loud and clear enough, the transition between the slides were smooth and I was bought over by your presentation. Great job(:

    Valencia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jason,

    Congrats on a job well done. Like mentioned by the others, team J&A's presentation was really professional and I felt that it really managed to catch our attention, well at least for my team.

    I think that it was good that you wrote your own speech text in order to overcome your weakness. I myself wrote a complete speech text too. I could see that you spent quite a bit of time on preparing for the presentation as you looked confident throughout the presentation.

    True enough that you fumbled quite abit in the midst of your presentation, but the good overall performance surely covered that up. So good job.

    All in all, I felt that it was indeed a job well done. :)
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear everyone on top of me,

    Thank you for all your comments! With your encouragement, I have confidence I will be able to do better next time~ I think this is my best presentation thus far, before this I don't feel good after presenting. It's really so happy to know that you guys actually like the presentation! =p

    Thanks ya!~

    Cheers,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jason,

    Your commitment to this project is indeed very admirable. The careful thought that went into slide preparation is clearly reflected in your well organized presentation. Your clever use of rhetorical devices also helped to engage the audience and underscore the flaws in the current module review system. I recall you were standing pretty close to the audience, and this certainly drew more attention.

    I think you conveyed your ideas very clearly, so you really don’t have to be too bothered by your command of English. Like the rest who’ve commented, I enjoyed your presentation.

    Bing Fu

    ReplyDelete