Monday, November 9, 2009

Final Reflection

It has been 12 weeks and this module is coming to an end. Thinking back, I had learnt so much about written, verbal and non-verbal communication. Communicating in English has been a problem to me; I have to think of what I want to say in Mandarin, translate it into English, and reorganize the content so that it makes sense to others. After the peer teaching and oral presentation, I feel that actually I can do fairly well just like others.

Conducting a survey and writing a proposal to propose a solution is something new to me. Aaron has helped me a lot in editing the proposal as my English is not as good as him. In the process, I had learnt to write using the ‘you’ attitude for the proposal to be more persuasive. The few videos about presentation that Ms. Lim showed in class were very helpful in my learning.

I had learned through the resume writing that when you write using different words, though conveying the same meaning, it can put the reader looking at it in a different perspective and the feeling is totally different. I had found that my blog post is always not as interesting as others because it only generate very few comments. I guess it must be too long and the content is difficult to comment though I spent a lot of time writing one post, trying my very best to write a post with high quality.

Overall, it has been a pleasant experience taking this module but it could have been better if I were to take it in my earlier years of study. Working in a two-person team with Aaron has been a great experience; it is just much easier to schedule a time to meet, either online or face to face, thus increasing our efficiency. It would be great if this module can teach a little about negotiating skills and a bit of psychology as I think it will be helpful in a business deal.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Jason!

    Firstly, I think it is not true that very few people comment on your blogpost because your posts are not interesting! I guess it is because you started this class later and most of us did not add in your url, so please do not fret that it is due uninteresting blog posts!

    I think that you possess much know-hows regarding the working society, like how to approach problems or how to behave in interviews etc. etc., so it's worth praises over that and do continue to work hard in this area!(:

    It is certainly true that different words have different connotations and our choice of words must be wise, so that our original intention is conveyed instead of escalation to conflicts.

    Let us continue to work hard towards a better (and better) communicator and presenter! Good luck for your job search too(:

    Cheers,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jason,

    I agree with Joanne on your vast knowledge about business etiquette. You impressed all of us during your peer teaching then, as well as your oral presentation.

    I find that you're very good in analytical thinking from your blogposts, so you might want to consider going into this field in future(:

    Anyway, I'm glad that you've benefitted alot from this module and hope you'll continue to put what you learnt into good use.

    All the best for your studies and take care(:

    Valencia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Joanne and Valencia,

    Thank you for your praises! It's really encouraging! ;)

    It's because I am a Career Guide with the NUS Career Centre, and I have more opportunity to expose to this knowledge but compared to the other career guides, they are much more knowledgeable than me. Mm~ you can look for some of us or even the staff for help if you need any career advices or assistance. (advertise a bit for career centre haha =p)

    Good luck for upcoming exams and jiayous~

    Cheers,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jason,

    Thanks for doing so much for the team! :) I think your experience with NUS really has payed off when doing things like minutes and proposals :)

    All the best for your FYP!

    Regards,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jason,

    Yes indeed, you really did demonstrate an excellent amount of effort and improvement which was evident during the oral presentation session, as well as your active commentary throughout the entire module, be it on wiki or on the blogs!

    And yes, its great to share similar interests, glad we can help each other as well! All the best to you as you transit into the working life after another semester or so, but life goes on and we all learn how to handle it along the way.

    Take care and i'm sure we'll keep in touch! By the way, i just got a long term call to LONG DOLLAR. haha i think the rest wont understand that, but i'm sure you do.

    best,
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jason!

    Like I mentioned in my reply to your comment, I feel that it was a good choice on your part to take up an English module despite knowing that you have some problems with English.

    I think that in spite of the slight language barrier, you really do possess lots of knowledge of the different things we learnt in class. I have always been impressed at how you answered the questions posted to you by Miss Lim in class. *applauds*

    I hope you enjoyed the classes as much as I did and all the best to you! :)

    Audrey

    ReplyDelete