Sunday, September 6, 2009

Job Application Letter

Jason Mak
Block 21, #03-24 Room J
Prince George’s Park Residences 5
Singapore 118429

September 3, 2009

Keppel Singmarine Pte. Ltd.
15 Benoi Road
Singapore 629888

Dear Hiring Manager,

I graduated from National University of Singapore with Bachelor Degree of Engineering (Mechanical) specialization in Offshore Oil and Gas Technology. I am interested in the full time position – Assistant Engineer/ Officer (Shipwright) advertised in the online job portal of Jobs Central on August 31.

From my four years of undergraduate studies, I have gained strong fundamental knowledge in engineering such as design engineering, material selection, failure/fatigue analysis, equipment design, oil and gas extraction process, etc. I was honored to become part of the RoboCup team where I assisted in the building and design of robots to compete in the soccer tournament in Graz, Austria. I researched in subsea oil exploration and the feasibility of laser drilling in onshore oilfield. My graduation thesis focused on studying the indentation deformation in the subsurface of Bulk Metallic Glass.

Being the President of Institution of Engineers, Singapore, I have enhanced my leadership, communication and organizational skills. I was also a Career Guide in the NUS Career Centre where I assisted in various projects and advised my peer in career related areas. Apart from that, my working experience as ride operator in United States has developed myself to become a global citizen and adaptable to foreign environment. This is especially important in Keppel where diversity is embraced and employers are posted overseas for projects at times. Given the opportunity, I strongly believe that my discipline, self-oriented behavior and personable disposition would make up for my inexperience, fit well into the company's community, and contribute to its success.

I have enclosed my resume for your review. I would appreciate the opportunity to meet you to demonstrate how my abilities and qualifications fit into Keppel. I can be contacted at (+65) 91417103 or makyankit@gmail.com. I am very interested in this position and will be available to start work anytime soon. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.


Yours sincerely,
Jason Mak

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jason,

    You have portrayed yourself well here. Good effort!

    Just a question or two:
    1) You mentioned that you are the 'President of Institution of Engineers, Singapore' - are you referring to a club in NUS? You may want to be more concise here, for if I am the officer short listing the candidates, I will simply do a search on the Internet, and come back with the following page (http://www.ies.org.sg/council0910.jpg), indicating that the President is someone else.

    2) You mentioned that you are "interested in the full time position" - I did a search for the position (yes, again - you will come to know that I love to verify and confirm things, ha-ha), and found exactly the same page you'd printed for me.

    Reason why I did the search: the 'full-time' position you'd mentioned misled me into thinking that there must be additional pages that were not printed. So morale of the lesson: also indicate exactly the position advertised for.

    3) You'd unwarily applied for two positions: Assistant Engineer and Assistant Officer (Shipwright). Be careful here. Which position are you applying for?

    Ms. Lim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ms. Lim,

    Thank you for your compliment! Haha~ you can look for IES-NUS, still have my name inside ;)
    Thanks for reminding me about changing to IES-NUS. I have also changed to Assistant Engineer in the cover letter which I will print out for the peer discussion on Friday. ^^

    Regards,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jason,

    Just a thought, it might be good to actually call up the company to find out the name of the hiring manager. It might sound better than "Dear Hiring Manager,"

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete